IWU Dismissal Ten Years Later

The dismissal of yours truly and the chain reaction that followed is perhaps one of the most infamous college dismissals. It is certainly one of the most frustrating. Over the years after that fateful Thursday morning, a suspect confessed and recanted several times. But as of March 2011, the prime suspect of my IWU dismissal is identified.

Two bags of Lay’s Potato Chips and two 12-12 ounce cans of Coca-Cola were on sale at Lance’s New Market and K-Mart, respectively for $10.50 on the week that changed my life forever. I can also say that on September 27, 2001, my wife was at the south side Marion Marsh picking up a jar of Ragu Spagetti Sauce (for 88 cents each) and bananas (38 cents a pound) and the CVS pharmacy next door to get a couple of two-liters of Coca-Cola (which were also on sale at $1.99 for two,) and then stopping at the Speedway station to get gas for car. It would be the very last time that my wife and to a much more servere extent, yours truly would ever set foot in that area.

In September of 2001, I was among the more than 700 freshmen and new students at Indiana Weslean University. There was a lot of construction, remodeling, and apparently as it turned out may be the potential cause of what I always have belived to this day ten years later that caused my dis-enrollment from Indiana Wesleyan University,.There were many services that should have been available for yours truly, such as a commuter’s lounge at IWU (that was not available), and the suggestion of a food pantry. Had those been available PRIOR to ten years ago today, I would have offically be posting as an alumnus of Indiana Wesleyan University.

I was a typical 18-year-old college freshman whose life revolved around media and education. I lived with my mother, Margaret, my brother, Albert, and to a lesser extent, my newlywed wife, Angela, in a comfortable three bedroom home on North Branson Street in the near northeast side of Marion.The household also consisted with my youngest pet nephew (Albert’s boy), Baxter, turning 3 that October, and my boy, Timothy Rags, turning two that November. Angela had her own place in Gas City.

September 27, 2001 started like any other fall morning for the Zinn’s. My mother, Margaret, 58, planned her day over a cup of coffee and in poor health. Yours truly, went to college as usual just sixteen days after the horrific tragedy of 9/11. Angela was helping Albert getting prepared for his new job at Leroy’s, while Baxter and Rags were watched cartoons on the family couch. Angela was heading to the gym, but needed to run a few errands for herself before going to her doctor’s appointment over in Gas City.

Angela fed Rags a hot dog and took him out for a walk while Baxter watching the Game Show Network. Rushed for time, Angela let it go. And besides, it was unusually mild, around 57-60 degrees already. Angela, Albert, and I got into what was considered to be the family car, a tan 1981 Ford F-150, and took off to run errands.Angela had to get her car (a Chevy Lumina) out of Intergrity. At the time there were family issues with my step-grandfather, in which I will explain in more details at a later date.

After dropping off yours truly at IWU , Albert dropped Angela off to the Marsh store in the Panamora Plaza, to see about some items they had on sale, (the spagetti sauce and bananas). Angela entered the store and walked past the customer service desk and entered the grocery department. It was around 9:00 a.m. There was a tons of construction at the Indiana Wesleyan University Student Center which lacked a Commuter’s Lounge. Also hampering were family budget trouble (at least with yours truly and Angie), which did not help matters at all.

What Are the Next Steps?

In the fall of 2001, yours truly was living the Hoosier dream. I was starting to build a degree in Special Education and had the potential to building a successful teaching career.

Only five to ten minutes after being informed that I was dis-enrolled from Indiana Wesleyan University, most of my friends from school were wondering “Where’s Frank?”. They had no idea that I was no longer enrolled from Indiana Wesleyan University. I informed my professors and a few of my friends at IWU that I had been suspended. I will never forget my mother’s expression when she threw her hands as if she was successful (and did not even care) that I was dismissed from Indiana Wesleyan University; my wife, on the other hand, was extremely devastated (and this was only four months after I got married) and I was pretty sure that the marriage would not work.

My search for another college that September afternoon grew into a years-long search for answers: Who caused yours truly to be dis-enrolled from IWU? Why did this happen? When will I return to IWU? But in the months (later years) that followed, the harsh reality set in.

Finally, A Break?

As the months and years went by with little progress on my IWU readmission, in August of 2002, a woman I took to the Mississinewa 500 (Brittani), reportedly confessed to causing my dis-enrollment from IWU. It was the beginning of a whole new emotional roller coaster for yours truly, and assistance from Cornerstone was needed after Dr. Maloney apparently screwed my education up and Vocational Rehabiliatation did not offer a solution. It was also the beginning of a much bigger change that changed my family’s landscape forever.

After numerous consulting over at Cornerstone, a client of the mental health facility told me to take the university to civil court for “wrongful dismissal” even though the Indiana Statues of Limitations expired on September 27, 2007.

Denied Closure

That very night my brother, Albert, took his own life in August of 2002 sat off at a dramatic event in my life lead to more weaknesses exposed, such as more financial problems that stemmed from not only my IWU dismissal and failing to find another college plus the deaths of my mother and brother: The person responsible for my IWU dismissal had been located and confessed. I thought we were on the way to closure.

Yours truly, then a 19 year-old and my wife, then 24, newly-wed had separated a month after Albert’s death, but reconciled after I came out as a transgednered lady. But there was still no IWU readmission. Without a new college to attend, thus the college credits from IVY Tech needed to transfer back to IWU,

© 2011 – 2012, avazinn.com. All rights reserved.

About Ava Zinn

Owner of Aeverine Zinn Holdings Former retailer of NoSirGifts (1987-2011) Webmaster of INNewsCenter (1999-2011), Vote for the Girls USA (2010-present), Vote for the Girls UK (2013-present), and of course AvaZinn.com (1999-present)